Hanahan is located in Berkeley County, SC. It is centrally located in the tri-county area with new and older subdivisions and recreational activities. Here is some history of the area from the City of Hanahan's website:
Colony Founding and Plantation Economy: The area now defined within the City limits of Hanahan has shared in and has contributed to the rich heritage of the Carolina Lowcountry since the seventeenth century. This area, which roughly encompasses the Goose Creek watershed, has been a barometer of the development trends in the greater Charleston area since the Province of Carolina was first administered by the Lords Proprietors in 1663.
Charles Towne, which, like the Province of Carolina, was named after King Charles Il of England, was first established along a sheltered tidal creek near a bend in the Ashley River in 1670 and became the province’s first town. In 1680, however, town leaders relocated the settlement to the west bank of the Cooper River, a location more easily defensible against marauding native American tribes and, due to sea breezes, less inundated with mosquitoes—carriers of malaria. It was at this location, now the heart of modern Charleston, South Carolina, that the settlement flourished as a seaport, center of trade, and administrative seat for the new province.
Before 1680, the Lords Proprietors made land grants to Edward and Arthur Middleton and to John
Yeamans of lands along the Goose Creek, a tributary of the Cooper River. The new location of Charles Towne enabled direct access by water from these lands, thus making them valuable sites for plantations on which to raise indigo and rice. Arthur Middleton established Yeshoe Plantation (later renamed Otranto Plantation) at the navigable head of the Goose Creek, while John Yeamans established Yeamans Hall Plantation downriver, on land surrounded by the Goose Creek and the Cooper River. Similarly, the areas in and around what is now known as Hanahan thrived in the antebellum plantation economy that expanded throughout much of the southern United States into the 1860’s.
The Goose Creek first came under the jurisdiction of Berkeley County in 1682. The county, named after two of the Lords Proprietors, John Berkeley of Stratton, England, and Sir William Berkeley, the former of whom became the first chancellor of the Province of Carolina. The county was dissolved, however, in 1706 in favor of the Saint James Parish, when a parish system of government was adopted. The Charleston District was established, encompassing all of present-day Berkeley County, in 1791 and became Charleston County in 1868, when parishes were officially discontinued. Berkeley County was recreated in 1883 with a new county seat in the town of Mount Pleasant, alongside Shem Creek on the eastern side of Charleston Harbor. Moncks Corner, upriver from Hanahan along the Cooper, became the modem Berkeley County Seat in 1895, and Mount Pleasant, along with other lands seaward of the Wando River, a tributary of the cooper, were reallocated to Charleston County in subsequent years."
Come check out the area and see how it has grown and evolved for today's resident.